At AAWC, we specialize in safe long-term weight loss. We have successfully helped thousands of patients with healthy weight loss, which many have managed to keep off long-term. We offer many supportive tools, life style modification, injections, supplements & even Phentermine short term for weight loss.
Tools for weight loss:
· Body Composition Analysis (BCA) using SECA mBCA: Measure your Fat Mass, Fat Free Mass, Skeletal Muscle Mass (in extremities, torso & overall), Visceral (inside abdomen, around organs) Fat, Total Body Water, Nutritional & Overall Health Status.
· Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) using REEVUE: Patient’s breathed out gases are analyzed to measure oxygen consumed by patient to calculate the metabolic rate.
· Modified Atkins’ Weight Loss Program. Dr. Deol will thoroughly explain the mechanics of his simplified modified Atkins low carb diet to help guide you on weight loss long-term. This is not a traditional diet, that ends after losing some weight. Follow this forever! We believe in “putting in the body what the body is made of.”
Injections: We offer HCG, Lipotropics, B12, B-Complex, Magnesium Shots.
· Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG): HCG is a hormone produced in pregnant women. HCG helps in burning fat stores while protecting lean muscle mass. HCG is similar to Luteinizing hormone (LH), which releases progesterone in women & testosterone in men. HCG is frequently used to increase testosterone production in the testes. HCG can be used to induce ovulation from ovaries & help in fertility treatment. At AAWC, we offer HCG injections or Nasal Spray. HCG can also be compounded by some pharmacies. Daily HCG can be quite effective for weight loss.
· Lipotropics w/ B Vitamins (Lipo B/LipoDen) Injections:
o Lipotropics use amino acids that are essential for liver, which is main organ responsible for removing fats & toxins from the body. By definition, a lipotropic substance decreases the deposit, or speeds up the removal of fats within the liver. The key 3 amino acids used are Methione, Inositol & Choline (MIC)
Ø Methione is one of the sulfur-containing amino acids & is important for many bodily functions. It acts as a lipotropic agent to prevent excess fat buildup in the liver & the body, is helpful in relieving or preventing fatigue and may be useful in some cases of allergy because it reduces histamine release.
Ø Choline supports liver health by helping processing & removal of chemical waste products in the body. It is required for the transport & metabolism of fats and cholesterol within the body, to support body glands, heart, blood vessels & liver.
Ø Inositol, a nutrient belonging to the B vitamin complex, is closely associated with choline. It aids in the metabolism of fats & helps reduce cholesterol. Inositol helps action of serotonin, a neurotransmitter known to control mood & appetite.
o Vitamin B12 & B Complex increases energy to help stimulate activity & energy use. The vitamin amino acids cocktail are compounds that enhance liver function & increase the flow of fats and bile from the liver and gallbladder.
Supplements: There are numerous supplements that help with sugar craving, fat burning, increased metabolism, reduce appetite & weight loss. Dr. Deol can guide on these & other nutrients to help optimize nutrition & weight loss.
· Garcinia Cambogia
· MCT Oil
· Green Coffee Bean Extract
· Green Tea Extract
· Raspberry Ketones
· Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) & many more.
· Phentermine may be prescribed for few months to jump-start weight loss. You will need to be seen every month to monitor your heart rate & blood pressure.
Thyroid Blood Tests: We recommend the following thyroid tests be done on all patients. Optimally functioning thyroid is essential for long-term weight maintenance.
· FT3, RT3, FT4, TSH
· Thyroid antibodies
Body Mass Index BMI is best way to measure weight status:
· Normal: 18.5-24.9 kg/m2
· Overweight: BMI 25.0-29.9
· Obesity: BMI over 30
· Morbid Obesity: over 40%
· Over 60% of Americans & 15% of our children are overweight or obese. Some health risks of obesity include diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, arthritis, & cancer.
· Studies have clearly shown that eating less calories & weighing less increases longevity (life span). “Less is More!”
BODY COMPOSITION: What are we made of?
· Water 50-74%. Men tend to have more water than women. Drink ½ – 1 gallon of water a day to replenish body water, help detoxify, improve skin, gut, muscle & brain function.
· Fat 18-30% for women, 10-25% for men. Athletes have less fat. Fats are filling & do not release insulin or raise blood sugar. There are 2 types of body fat:
o Essential Fat: Essential fat is necessary for normal, healthy functioning & is found in bone marrow, organs, brain, nervous system, and muscles.
o Storage Fat (Triglycerides). Storage fat is accumulated primarily beneath the skin & around organs and is used as storage of excess calories.
· Proteins: Lean body mass (50% of dry body weight) from muscles, ligaments, bones & internal organs. There are 21 Amino Acids (AA) (9 considered essential), which can build ~50,000 proteins in body! AA are building blocks & essential for most functions in our body. Consume 1-2 gm protein per kg body weight (less if kidney damage). Proteins cause small release of insulin, do not raise blood sugar.
· Minerals: Calcium is the main mineral 3-5% in bones, body. Many people are deficient in minerals especially Magnesium & other essential minerals. Consuming calcium alone without supporting minerals & vitamins increases risk of Abnormal Calcification.
· Carbohydrates (Carb): The smallest component of our body. The body uses certain amount of sugar/carb for daily energy needs. We need ~135 grams or less of carb a day for our basic energy needs. The average American eats 251 grams of carb a day. The stored carb in our body is only 2000 calories or 2-day supply of glycogen in liver & muscle. The excess carb consumed daily converts glycerol with 3 fatty acids to form Triglycerides or storage fat.
· Types of Carbs: 1. Fiber (zero calories) 2. Sugars & 3. Starch (made of long chains of sugars). All carbs except fiber break down to simple sugars, raise insulin, & raise blood sugar levels. High amounts of insulin cause inflammation & fat storage.
· Mirror Body Composition: Body is made of water & fat primarily, then protein & least amount is carbs. Depending on amount of physical activity & energy expenditure, carbs may need to be limited significantly. Even though fats release 9 calories per gram as compared to ~ 4 calories for proteins & carbs each, fats do not release insulin & cause lasting satiety or fullness in stomach. Essentially with eating fats at every meal, we eat less in long run.